One Thousand Friends appeal to support future of stained glass
In response to the recent news that historic stained glass window making has been placed on the Heritage Crafts Association’s (HCA) Red List of Endangered Crafts, the chairman of the British Society of Master Glass Painters (BSMGP), Steve Clare, has launched an appeal to the public to help secure its future. He is inviting people to make a donation to the Master Glass Painters Trust so that the organisation can action its goals.
The BSMGP was the principal advisor to the HCA in identifying the risks challenging the industry. These include:
- Aging practitioners and a loss of opportunity for them to pass on their skills
- The decline in dedicated educational courses
- The decreasing use of contemporary stained glass commissions in buildings
- The scarcity and high cost of materials.
The goals of the BSMGP are:
- To inspire and support a new generation to enter the stained glass profession
- To foster a resurgence in stained glass commissions and opportunities
- To nurture a strong stained glass community.
How will the money be used?
- Work to increase diversity within the sector and encourage and assist young people through apprenticeships and work placements towards careers in stained glass
- Establish a mentorship programme so that emerging artists have the support they need to achieve their potential
- Develop an outreach campaign to encourage architects and interior designers to use stained glass in new and historic buildings
- Support regular stained glass exhibitions, competitions and opportunities, including a new prize at the British Glass Biennale in 2024.
See the organisation’s detailed plans for the future here.
Ideally, the One Thousand Friends appeal is seeking one-off donations of £1,000 to the Master Glass Painters Trust, enabling people to become a Friend. However, donations of anything from £1 will be gratefully received. Supporters can also become a Member from £45 a year, which includes the Journal of Stained Glass, or become a Friend by making a one-off donation to the Master Glass Painters Trust of £50, £100, £250, £500, £1000 or more.
All Friends receive an emailed quarterly Newsletter with updates on the appeal and those who donate over £500 will be recognised in the Journal of Stained Glass and can receive a Patron of the Master Glass Painters Trust logo to include on their website.
Find out more and donate or join via this link.